The Hill, 2/1/21, by Dr. Donald van der Vaar, senior fellow at the John Locke Foundation, a member of the Environmental Protection Agency’s Scientific Advisor Board.
- Investing in plug-in electric vehicles (PEV) makes zero sense under ESG “green principles”
- The necessary lithium, cobalt and nickel are energy-intensive to mine
- The countries where minerals are mined do not observe the same environmental restrictions as the US
- The minerals themselves are in short supply
- The social costs will be high as perverse incentives created by PEV tax credits mean the rich benefit from PEV while the poor will pay higher electricity costs thanks to “clean energy” mandates that increase electric bills.